problems with 0.1.66
Joshua Parmenter
2006-05-01 00:43:25 UTC
Hi all...

I was looking around to see if there was a more appropriate place to
post a questions / problem. If this is the wrong list, I apologize
and would appreciate a re-direct. If not, here is the problem I am
having.

Here is a sample head of a .ly file...

% LilyPond score file
% FOMUS v0.1.66

\version "2.6"
octUp = #(set-octavation 1)
octReset = #(set-octavation 0)
octDown = #(set-octavation -1)
markAccIn = \once \override TextScript #'script-priority = #-100
beamL = #(def-music-function (par loc num) (number?) #{\set
stemLeftBeamCount = #$num #})
beamR = #(def-music-function (par loc num) (number?) #{\set
stemRightBeamCount = #$num #})
beamLR = #(def-music-function (par loc numl numr) (number? number?) #
{\set stemLeftBeamCount = #$numl \set stemRightBeamCount = #$numr #})
textSpan = #(def-music-function (par loc dir str) (number? string?) #
{\override TextSpanner #'direction = #$dir \override TextSpanner
#'edge-text = #(cons $str "") #})
noteHead = #(def-music-function (par loc sty) (symbol?) #{\once
\override NoteHead #'style = #$sty #})

In LilyPond, I get an error:

Parsing...ERROR: Unbound variable: def-music-function

I am starting out with both LilyPond and FOMUS... any suggestions on
how to get rid of the error, or solve it either on the FOMUS or
LilyPond side?

Second, is there a variable on the lisp side to change the LilyPond
version number? FOMUS can't detect my OSX .app version (2.8)... I'm
hand changing it for now, and that seems to be fine, but it would be
nice if this is something I can change in the .fomus file.

Also, for simple tests, I can delete the beamL (etc.) definitions and
the code will compile, but once those vars are used in the .ly file,
there are (of course) problems.

Thanks for any help.

Josh

OS X 10.4.6 MacBook, SBCL 0.9.12

Joshua Parmenter
***@u.washington.edu
Post-Doctoral Research Associate - Center for Digital Arts and
Experimental Media
Raitt Hall - University of Washington
Seattle, Washington 98195

http://www.dxarts.washington.edu
http://www.realizedsound.net/josh/
David Psenicka
2006-05-01 04:32:54 UTC
Thanks for the post--the error is the reason why fomus tries to detect
the lilypond version, the "def-music-function" changed a few times from
version to version (I think now it's "define-music-function"). I'll
make this user-settable (I'll try to update this by tomorrow).

Also, I think the reason why it can't get the version number is because
it can't find the lilypond executable--I haven't tested it w/
OSX/lilypond 2.8 yet, so something might have changed, I'll have to look
at this too. There's a setting ("LILYPOND-EXE") for specifying the path
to the lilypond executable so you can override fomus's default. I think
this should fix the problem until I get the next update out. Let me
know if you run across any other issues.

-David
Joshua Parmenter
2006-05-01 22:50:08 UTC
Hi David,

I did some more poking around today, and noticed that if I set my
lilypind-exe value to:

:lilypond-exe "/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/
lilypond"

then all worked as it should. It detected the version to be 2.8, and
the functions were automatically set to define- rather than def-

Thanks...

Josh

David Psenicka
2006-05-02 19:29:11 UTC
This CVS update should fix it (I need to double check it, but it should
work), thanks!
David Psenicka
2006-06-11 16:44:22 UTC
Development has been a little slow lately due to me moving and some
other work I've been needing to finish... I'll be devoting more time
again to the project in a few weeks.

The project now has a main branch and a development branch (with CVS tag
"dev")--the default main branch is the one I'm using for releases and
should always compile and contain bug fixes, etc.. I'm tarballing each
main branch update and making them accessible at
<http://common-lisp.net/project/fomus/download/>. The test suite is
also available under a separate module ("fomustest" or "testfomus").

-David