understanding "backend_ly.lisp"
padovani
2007-10-18 14:37:37 UTC
hi again!
So, I'm trying to understand the backend_ly.lisp of fomus...

my doubts are in this passage..
(conc-stringlist
(loop for x in '(:text :textdyn :texttempo :textnote)
and m in (list (or text-markup
*lilypond-text-markup*)
(or textdyn-markup
*lilypond-textdyn-markup*)
(or texttempo-markup
*lilypond-texttempo-markup*)
(or textnote-markup
*lilypond-textnote-markup*))
nconc (loop for (xxx di str) in (getmarks e x)
collect (conc-strings
(ecase di (:up "^") (:down "_"))
(format nil m
(lilypond-string-escape str))))))

I have two questions...
1. What is - or where is defined - the function "xxx" - from (xxx di
str) ... it should get the values ":up" or ":down", right?
2. I tried to create a third - empty - direction, ":justplace", to place
whatever texts I wanted...
(ecase di (:up "^") (:down "_") (:justplace nil)) ....
Then I have recompiled fomus but it doesn't work... Why? Should I define
it in other places? Where?

Sorry if the questions are stupid.. Maybe someday I become a developer! :)
José H.
a***@public.gmane.org
2007-10-19 07:40:07 UTC
p> I have two questions...
p> 1. What is - or where is defined - the function "xxx" - from (xxx di
p> str) ... it should get the values ":up" or ":down", right?

The (xxx di str) inside the loop clause is a "destructuring pattern" -
meaning here that the 3 variables xxx, di & str will get their values
from the subsequent expression.

(loop repeat 1 for (a b c) = '(1 2 3)
collect (+ a b c))

=> 6

p> 2. I tried to create a third - empty - direction, ":justplace", to
p> place whatever texts I wanted...
p> (ecase di (:up "^") (:down "_") (:justplace nil)) ....
p> Then I have recompiled fomus but it doesn't work... Why? Should I
p> define it in other places? Where?

What do you want to do? Putting nil in there does nothing. Ie:

(conc-strings "hi" "ho")
=> "hiho"
(conc-strings nil "ho")
=> "ho"

You'll also have to add your mark to various places to make fomus
beleive you're not mistyping, ie in +notemark-type+ and possibly other
places.
David Psenicka
2007-10-19 15:02:02 UTC
David Psenicka
2008-01-17 03:11:41 UTC
Just to let everyone know, FOMUS isn't dead, it's at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fomus . I'm porting everything to C++,
and fixing a lot of the shortcomings that I think are in this version
along the way (among them the ability to change any setting for any
section of the score or even individual notes, a large improvement in
user input including text file input w/ macros, and some other
fundamental decisions that will improve things--should be faster and
less error prone)... I'll continue to fix bugs in this version but all
of the major changes will go into the C++ version (I can't say yet when
I'll have a working alpha version...)
Rob Canning
2008-11-01 14:07:11 UTC
Post by David Psenicka
Just to let everyone know, FOMUS isn't dead, it's at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fomus . I'm porting everything to C++,
and fixing a lot of the shortcomings that I think are in this version
along the way (among them the ability to change any setting for any
section of the score or even individual notes, a large improvement in
user input including text file input w/ macros, and some other
fundamental decisions that will improve things--should be faster and
less error prone)... I'll continue to fix bugs in this version but all
of the major changes will go into the C++ version (I can't say yet when
I'll have a working alpha version...)
hi david,
i cant seem to find the old (pre C port) fomus tarballs - could you or
someone point me where to download them from. thanks.
hows it going with the C port?
hope you are doing well
rob c
Rob Canning
2008-11-07 11:56:16 UTC
Post by Rob Canning
hi david,
i cant seem to find the old (pre C port) fomus tarballs - could you or
someone point me where to download them from. thanks.
hows it going with the C port?
hope you are doing well
rob c
svn co svn://common-lisp.net/project/fomus/svn/fomus/trunk /usr/local/fomus
-Ross
thanks ross - thats it
also here - http://common-lisp.net/project/fomus/download/
just the link has been removed from the fomus main page

robc
Rob Canning
2008-11-06 17:51:15 UTC
hi,
what lisp is the fastest? - fomus is just a bit too slow rendering to
.ly for what i'm doing atm
i've been using cmucl and am wondering if i can get some more speed with
another lisp?
thanks
rob