Installation problem: fomus commandline application
Torsten Anders
2006-09-06 09:50:32 UTC
Dear all,

I am new to this list and did not find my problem discussed already.
Apologies if if this is a FAQ.

I tried to install the fomus commandline application, without success
so far. It appears the compilation finishes successfully, then a Fomus
greating message appears which ends up in the debugger. I get an error
message which reads something like the following (copied by hand,
hopefully without typos..)

debugger invoked on an END-OF-FILE in thread 8843:
end of file on #<SB-IMPL::STRING-INPUT-STREAM {9734081}>
<snipped>
(SB-IMPL::STRING-INCH 3 #<SB-IMPL:: STRING-INPUT-STREAM {some number}>
T NIL)[:EXTERNAL]

I tried Fomus 0.2.6 with SBCL 0.8.16 and a CMUCL snapshot from 2004 --
all on Linux (Fedora Core 3).

Thank you very much!

Best,
Torsten

--
Torsten Anders
Sonic Arts Research Centre • Queen's University Belfast
http://strasheela.sourceforge.net
Kilian Sprotte
2006-09-06 10:41:39 UTC
if not, I am sure that David will now,
the semantics of "now" here needs obviously be derived from its german
pronunciation (-:
Kilian Sprotte
2006-09-06 10:47:16 UTC
Dear Torsten,

you tried it with sbcl and cmucl and get basically the same error?

For the sbcl case - maybe it would be good just to try with 0.9.16 ?
Just to be sure: You are invoking it with $ ./install.sh --sbcl (no
other options?)

A friend of mine had a problem _using_ the fomus cmdline app...
The error message was similar (if I remember correctly).

It showed up, that the encoding of his text input file was unicode....
Changing it to Latin-1 made it work!

There is even a 0.9.16 binary release available on
http://sbcl.sourceforge.net/platform-table.html,
so again, its probably best to try that.

Have you successfully compiled and used fomus from the Lisp REPL?

Hope that helps somehow,
if not, I am sure that David will now,
but he might need a longer backtrace then... ;-)

Cheers,

Kilian
Kilian Sprotte

David Psenicka
2006-09-06 13:50:46 UTC
I'll take a look at this today...

When run at the command line it shouldn't get caught in the debugger, it
should print the error and exit... Another bug that I'll look at.

-David
Kilian Sprotte
2006-09-06 16:44:59 UTC
Post by David Psenicka
I'll take a look at this today...
When run at the command line it shouldn't get caught in the
debugger, it
should print the error and exit... Another bug that I'll look at.
I am just wondering if the installer assumes that ~/.fomus exists?
So, a workaround could be touch ~/.fomus.
David Psenicka
2006-09-07 04:16:08 UTC
From what I can tell, it's complaining that it can't read your .fomus
file--I've fixed the code so it won't enter the debugger if that happens
(and choke on it when it compiles)--I'll release the update in a few
days (I have to test a few other changes I've made first).

More text file examples will get posted in the docs shortly, and I'll
put a better .fomus init file example up...

I'm adding some options to control the output:

-v view immediately (invoke the pd or pdf viewer after compiling cmn
or lilypond)

-l output a lilypond score file
-c output a cmn file
-x output musicxml
-f output musicxml w/ finale kludges
-s output musicxml w/ sibelius kludges (I have to check if Sibelius
has fixed anything in their xml import--last time I tried it it was
hopeless)

-m output a fomus file (won't accomplish all that much--it'll be nearly
the same as your input file)

-o base output filename

-q set the "quality" value (alters computation time)

Usage: fomus [-lxfscmvo] filename

Also, you should be able to put "\" characters at the ends of lines you
want to be read as one (seemed necessary as I was generating examples).

-David
Torsten Anders
2006-09-07 14:34:53 UTC
Dear David and dear Kilian,

Thank you very much for your comments.

Perhaps I need to clarify a bit the problem I encountered: I ran the
script install.sh on a machine without any predefined Fomus and the
build process failed for both sbcl and cmucl with a similar error.

I checked out svn after your changes, David. This script still ends in
the Lisp debugger with pretty much the same error -- but now without
any compilation before. And yes, there has been no ~/.fomus on my
machine yet. Nevertheless, I also tried the script with an empty
~/.fomus which showed the same behaviour.

Best,
Torsten

David Psenicka
2006-09-07 20:43:18 UTC
Torsten,
Post by Torsten Anders
Perhaps I need to clarify a bit the problem I encountered: I ran the
script install.sh on a machine without any predefined Fomus and the
build process failed for both sbcl and cmucl with a similar error.
I checked out svn after your changes, David. This script still ends in
the Lisp debugger with pretty much the same error -- but now without
any compilation before. And yes, there has been no ~/.fomus on my
machine yet. Nevertheless, I also tried the script with an empty
~/.fomus which showed the same behaviour.
If there's no compilation, this tells me that nothing changed when you
updated (it's just loading the old .fasl files instead of compiling new
ones) and otherwise it's just doing the same thing, but I can't know for
sure. I just need more information--I can see the Lisp can't read some
file, but I don't know which one it is. Could you cut+paste the entire
output, from when you type the ./install.sh command to where it breaks?
Also use SBCL and please include a backtrace (type "backtrace" at the
debug prompt in SBCL), I at least need to know which file is the problem
file. If the backtrace shows you a filename, could you also e-mail me
that file?

Also, unzip the attached fomus_dbg file and use this, to be absolutely
sure you have the same code I have. This will help me a lot. Sorry for
the inconvenience, I just can't replicate the error.

Also, SBCL 0.8.16 is a bit older than the current release (0.9.16 last
time I looked), and I think CMUCL might have bumped up a version or two
since 2004--the current version is 19c--this could be an issue.

Thanks,
David